For my Education class I will be designing a lesson plan for second grade class room based off of the ASSURE lesson plane model. The goal of a student is to write a three paragraph research paper about an animal of their choice with minimal gramtical error. They should also include a topic sentence, supporting sentences, and a conclsion sentence. At the end the student will make a poster to show the class their findings.
- 25 students (12 female/13 male)
- Homogeneous classroom culture
- No English Language Learners
- 50% qualify for free and reduced lunch
- Mostly 7-8 year old’s
- No major behavioral issue
- 7 students in a reading pull out program
- 1 student works with a speech therapist
- 4 students qualify for talented and gifted services in reading and 4 in math
- Kinesthetic, audio, inquiry based learning
- short attention spans for directions
- Have had Ipads for more than a year
- Familiar with basic functions of their Ipads
- No internet research skills
S-State Stnadards and Objectives
I found all of the state standards at: CoreStandards
Write informative/explanatory texts in which they introduce a topic, use facts and definitions to develop points, and provide a concluding statement or section.
With guidance and support from adults and peers, focus on a topic and strengthen writing as needed by revising and editing.
With guidance and support from adults, use a variety of digital tools to produce and publish writing, including in collaboration with peers.
Participate in shared research and writing projects (e.g., read a number of books on a single topic to produce a report; record science observations)
A class of second grade students will learn about their animals characteristics, proper writing techniques, and how to present their findings in order to write a 3 paragraph paper with a topic and conclusion sentence with supporting sentence in between and create a poster with their findings, all of this must meet the writing standards for second graders, the information must be correct, and the presentation must meet the criteria listed in the rubric.
S- Select Strategies, Technology, Media, and Materials
To help the class be ready to take on this project I will give them some stepping stones to get them the help and information they need. If available I would love to give my students a chance to go to the zoo before they start the project to get them interested in certain animals. I would also give them certain websites to look like pbs.org. I would also see if there were any types of apps they could download for their research, a good website for checking apps out is http://appadvice.com/appguides/show/learning-about-zoo-animals
I would also give my students worksheets to complete to help them understand what type of a paper I want from them. It would be fill in the blank type of worksheet with guided help. For the poster aspect of the project I would leave a few sample posters around the classroom for students to look at at their own time to get an idea of what is expected from them.
U-Utilize Technology, Media, and Materials
Preview the technology, media, and materials:
- I will look and find what apps I think will work best with this project.
Prepare the Technology, Media, and Materials
- I will download the desired apps onto the ipads for the students to be able to use.
- I will make sure the example posters are set up around the room.
- I will print out the number of worksheets needed.
Prepare the Environment:
- The ipads will be set out and made sure to be running
- Worksheets will be distributed
- Posters will be ready to look at
Prepare the learners:
- I will go over the apps in class with the students to make sure they understand what they do.
- I will explain how to fill out the worksheet.
- I will go through one of the example posters with the class.
Provide the Learning Experience:
- first the class will complete the worksheet so I know that they understand how to write the paper.
- Then I will show the class what an example of good poster looks like.
- Then I will give the students an opportunity to play around on the new apps to look at all the animals that they can pick from.
- Then I will tell the students what their project is.
R-Required Learner Participation:
Student Practice Activities:
- Students will use ipads and the apps on the, to find out more about their animals.
- Students will use the information they used from the worksheet to help them write their own paper.
- Their peers will read each others papers to help each other out is they are confused.
- Students will discuss what it means to create a good poster.
- Teacher will grade paper according tot the rubric.
- Students will go around the class room and hang their posters up, then students will walk around with sticky notes making commentary on each others posters.
Evaluate and Revise:
Assessment of Learners Achievement: I will take the score from the paper based off of the rubric score and add the score from the commentary on the poster to access the learning of the student.
Evaluation of Strategies, technologies, and media: I will ask the students for their feedback on what they thought was hard and what they thought was easy. With this commentary I will hopefully gain information on how to improve the lesson plan.
Revision: With the commentary I will be able to revise the lesson plan
Here is my Rubric:
|Research Report : 2nd Grade Research Paper
Teacher Name: Olivia DeJanvier Student Name: ________________________________________
||Successfully uses suggested apps to find information and navigates within these apps easily without assistance.
||Usually able to use suggested apps to find information and navigates within these apps easily without assistance.
||Occasionally able to use suggested apps to find information and navigates within these apps easily without assistance.
||Needs assistance or supervision to use suggested apps and/or to navigate within these apps.
||All paragraphs include introductory sentence, explanations or details, and concluding sentence.
||Most paragraphs include introductory sentence, explanations or details, and concluding sentence.
||Paragraphs included related information but were typically not constructed well.
||Paragraphing structure was not clear and sentences were not typically related within the paragraphs.
|Amount of Information
||All topics are addressed and all questions answered with at least 2 sentences about each.
||All topics are addressed and most questions answered with at least 2 sentences about each.
||All topics are addressed, and most questions answered with 1 sentence about each.
||One or more topics were not addressed.
||No grammatical, spelling or punctuation errors.
||Almost no grammatical, spelling or punctuation errors
||A few grammatical spelling, or punctuation errors.
||Many grammatical, spelling, or punctuation errors.